Sunday, June 21, 2015

Montana Healthcare

There are certainly more scenic things to post than this, but I've been out of internet and phone connectivity for over a week. So I'll give a current update, then get back to the good stuff when things slow down a bit.

I've just ended a five day vacation as an in-patient at St. Luke's hospital, Ronan MT, while Paul is awaiting a shifting pawl to recover his missing second gear.

Paul's spewing Triumph vitriol all over the place. No case split, however, it's a broken tang on a shaft that goes through the cases. Missoula Triumph quoted $800 for the job, but he's found the OEM part from online triumph dealers for $27. The math set him off on another tirade. He's not good company at the moment.

Not that it mattered that much to me. I was released today and rode 50 miles to meet Susan in Missoula. She arrives at 9:00 tonight after a connecting flight in Denver.. The short ride to Missoula about did me in. The plan was to have Susan tag along back home having a dual-vehicle adventure. I was looking forward to it. However, if I'm not feeling any better, the bike will stay here and we'll drive home, the bike return a riding adventure for a later time. The wonderful folks on Flathead Lake have offered a garage several times and Susan has a nephew in Kalispel with a garage and a truck. So I'm blessed with options.

Why Ronan? It was literally as far as I could go last Wednesday on the way back from the BMW service in Missoula. The GPS said "Hospital in three miles", I could barely walk. Fortunately I could pilot the bike three more miles. It was 75 degrees outside and I had full riding gear on, including gaiters, and shivering so badly I could hardly answer the ER questions. Good thing Paul is family; he could answer just about all for me. After being admitted, strapped in with needles, tubes and a good slug of morphine, blood was drawn daily for cultures. Diagnosis: Acute kidney and blood bacterial infection. Go figure! I was assured this wasn't caused by motorcycling, so who knows? I certainly have no history with this sort of thing. I'm happy we were able to enjoy all the great people and places to date, especially Cole's cabin and tubing down the Jefferson with his brother-in-law, Tim. Who knew what the future held? All said, this small hospital had all new equipment and a great healing culture. I doubt I could have received better care for what I needed. Plus, I had a view of snowy peaks from my bed.



I'm going to have to rate the FMR (Fun to Misery Ratio) for this trip on a timeline. Until Wednesday, it was in the high 9's. Remember, there was the helmet-cam malfunction over Beartooth Pass? That cost a couple of points. Perfect weather, scenery, people. From Wednesday on it will have to be around 1 as my rules anchor the bottom of the scale with medical and law enforcement interaction.



In-patient


This is Hick Ups. Seriously. She was one of the CNAs that hovered over me for 5 days. Couldn't have done it without her. She also made up a bed for Paul in my room where he could use my bath and shower. Brought meals, too. In this pix, she had walked me out of the building and submitted to a selfie.

Front of hospital

Interesting wall-art. Much was native Americas since this is on the Flathead Indian Reservation


Lobby, looking out


Obligatory bike shot in front of hospital.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Glad you got good caretakers in Ronan, and that they got you on your feet (?wheels) again. Hope you get fully recovered soon.

Richard Ludwig said...

Whoa!!!! Total lame city!!!!
I'm glad you're mobile again!
Your adventures have been fun to read about - I hope your recovery goes well - I recommend a nice Starbucks (can you have that?).

gene said...

Hope your feeling better soon.

gene said...

Hope your feeling better soon.